Welcome to Nondalton!
Nondalton is a Dena'ina name first recorded in 1909 by the U.S. Geological Survey. The village was originally located on the north shore of Six Mile Lake, but in 1940 growing mudflats and wood depletion in the surrounding area caused the village to move to its present location on the west shore. The post office, established in 1938, relocated with the villagers. Nondalton formed an incorporated city government in 1971.
Nondalton is a Dena'ina (Athabascan and Iliamna) village with a fishing and subsistence lifestyle.
«"DENA'INA WAY - 'Nuvendaltun Qutana n Kijik' - Always Take Care of The Land! The Land Will Always Take Care of You! Its called Respect."» -William Trefon, Jr., Nondalton AK
Get In Touch
By The Numbers
● Population: 119
● Latitude, Longitude: 59.9668, -154.857
● Sq miles: 8.4 of land, 0.4 of water
● Date Incorporated: 1971
The community of Nondalton is primarily accessible by air and water. During the winter, a road is passable between Nondalton and Newhalen, 22 miles to the south on the shore of Iliamna Lake. The road is only paved half way. Air taxi, skiff, snow machine and four-wheelers are the main modes of transport for residents and visitors. A state-owned gravel runway is present in Nondalton. There are no docking facilities in Nondalton. Bulk goods are received in Iliamna then taken by a cat-trail to Fish Camp, located across from Nondalton on the east side of the Six Mile Lake. From there, they are ferried by skiff or barge to the west side of the lake.