Welcome to Igiugig!
Kiatagmuit Yup'ik originally lived on the north bank of the Kvichak River in the village of Kaskanak and used Igiugig as a summer fish camp. At the turn of the century, these people moved upriver to the present site of Igiugig. People from Branch also moved to Igiugig as it began to develop. Today, about one-third of residents can trace their roots back to the Branch River village. A post office was established in 1934 but was discontinued in 1954. Commercial and subsistence fishing sustain the community.
Historically a Yup'ik village, the population of Igiugig is now primarily Alutiiq and depends upon commercial fishing and a subsistence lifestyle. Sport fishing attracts visitors during summer months.
«“Igiugig is where the land is both majestic and abundant. The people are passionate, resourceful and amiable. The value of culture and traditions are passed on through generations.”» -Amanda Bybee, Igiugig AK
Charter flights are available from Iliamna and King Salmon. The state owns and maintains a gravel runway. A small public dock is available.