Welcome to Iliamna!
Prior to 1935, "Old Iliamna" was located near the mouth of the Iliamna River, a traditional Athabascan village. A post office was established there in 1901. Around 1935, villagers moved to the present location, approximately 40 miles from the old site. The post office followed. Iliamna's current size and character can be attributed to the development of fishing and hunting lodges. The first lodge opened in the 1930s. A second lodge was built in the 1950s. During the 1970s and 80s, lots were made available by the Baptist church, and additional lodges were constructed.
In recent years, Iliamna has become a recreational and tourist attraction due to the excellent fishing at Iliamna Lake. The population is diverse, with non-natives, Dena'ina Athabascans, Alutiiq, and Yup'ik residents.
Get In Touch
Village of Iliamna
PO Box 286
Iliamna, AK 99606
By The Numbers
● Latitude, Longitude: 59.7547, -154.9061
● Sq miles: none
● Date Incorporated: not incorporated
Travel in Iliamna is usually by small plane, and seasonally by boat, four-wheeler, or snowmobile. Individuals also use personal vehicles, ATVs, and skiffs. Barges deliver bulk goods to the area. Iliamna Air Taxi, Inc. provides scheduled mail, freight, and passenger air service to several Iliamna Lake communities. A private airstrip is located at the Iliamna Roadhouse, and Summit Lake provides private float plane access. A paved road connects Iliamna to the Iliamna airport, as well as the community of Newhalen located several miles to the south. During the winter, a road is passable between Iliamna and Nondalton, 15 miles to the north, although the road is only paved half way.