NATIVE VILLAGE OF IVANOF BAY
Ivanof Bay is located on the northeast end of the Kupreanof Peninsula at the north end of Ivanof Bay, about 268 miles south of King Salmon.
Ivanof Bay was named by Lt. Dall of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1880. The village occupies the site of a former salmon cannery which operated from the 1930s to the early 1950s. In 1956, several families moved from Perryville to Ivanof Bay to pursue a peaceful lifestyle, religious freedom, better water quality and better hunting. Ivanof Bay was recognized as an established community in 1965.
The residents of this isolated village fish commercially for salmon and halibut. Many trap in the winter. The people here are largely dependent upon subsistence hunting and fishing, and use salmon, trout, crab, clams, moose, caribou, bear, porcupine and seals.