NATIVE VILLAGE OF PERRYVILLE
Located at the south end of the Alaska Peninsula about 265 miles south of King Salmon, is the scenic village of Perryville.
It was founded in 1912 as a refuge for the Alutiiq people driven away from their villages by the eruption of Mr. Katmai. Many villagers from Douglas and Katmai survived the eruption because they were out fishing at the time. Captain Perry of the ship “Manning” transported people from the Katmai area to Ivanof Bay, and later, to the new village site. The village was originally called “Perry”, but the “ville” was added to conform to the post office name, established in 1930.
The residents of Perryville maintain an Alutiiq culture and a subsistence lifestyle. During the summer, the majority of residents leave Perryville to fish in Chignik and Chignik Lagoon. Some residents trap during the winter, and all rely heavily on subsistence food sources.
Lodges, Inn's, B&B and Hotels located in the Native Village of Perryville:
B And E Enterprises (907) 853-4023 ( Perryville, AK)