Native Village of Nondalton

Photo of Nondalton July 2002.jpg

NATIVE VILLAGE OF NONDALTON

(Population 205)

Nondalton is located on the west shore of Six Mile Lake, 15 miles north of Iliamna and 200 miles southwest of Anchorage.  Nondalton is primarily accessible by air and water.  A State-owned 2,800" long by 75" wide gravel runway services the community.  Scheduled and charter air services are available from Anchorage and Iliamna.

Nondalton is a Tanaina Indian name first recorded in 1909 by the U.S. Geological Survey.  The village was originally located on the north shore of Six Mile Lake, but in 1940, wood depletion in the surrounding area and growing mud flats caused the village to move to its present location on the west shore.  The post office, established in 1938, relocated with the villagers.  Nondalton formed an incorporated city government in 1971.  Nondalton's St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Chapel, originally constructed in 1896 and moved with the rest of the village, is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Most residents in Nondalton are Alaska Native, primariy Dena'ina Athabaskans.  Dena'ina values and traditions are very strong here, where elders continue to educate the younger generation in hopes of preserving their culture.  Residents here practice a subsistence lifestyle, dependent upon fish and game for food.

Lodges, Inn's, B&B and Hotels located in the Native Village of Nondalton:

Alaska's Valhalla Lodge, INC.


Chada and Chida's B & B (907) 294-2228 (Nondalton, AK)