Native Village of Levelock




Levelock_Aerial_Down_River_October_3__2002.jpg

NATIVE VILLAGE OF LEVELOCK

(Population 57)

Levelock is located on the west bank of the Kvichak River, 40 miles north of Naknek, and 280 miles southwest of Anchorage.  Levelock is accessible by air and water. The State owns a 3,281' long by 59' wide lighted gravel runway in Levelock. Scheduled and charter flights are available.

Early Russian explorers reported the presence of Levelock, which they called "Kvichak.”  Kvichak was mentioned during the 1890 census, although the population was not measured. A 1908 survey of Russian missions identified "Lovelock's Mission" at this site. Koggiung Packers operated a cannery at Levelock in 1925-26. A second cannery operated from 1928-29. In 1930 the first school was built, and a post office was established in 1939. During the early 1950s, another cannery was in operation.  Today, Levelock is a mixed Alutiiq and Yup'ik village. Commercial fishing and subsistence activities are the focus of the community.  Sharing is a way of life in this village; no one goes hungry for lack of ability to hunt or fish.