Native Village of Chignik Lagoon

Chignik Lagoon Arial of Village.jpg

NATIVE VILLAGE OF CHIGNIK LAGOON

(Population 103)

Chignik Lagoon is located 8 ½ miles west of Chignik, 16 miles east of Chignik Lake, and 280 miles east of Unimak Pass (the separation between the Alaska Peninsula and the Aleutian Islands).  It obtained its name from its location and proximity to Chignik, the Sugpiaq word for “big wind”.

The area was originally populated by Kanaiguit Eskimos.  After Russian occupation, the intermarriage of the Kaniags and Aleuts produced Koniags.  The people of this era were sea-dependent, living on otter, sea lion, porpoise and whale.  During the Russian fur boom from 1767 to 1783, the sea otter  population  was  decimated.   This, in addition to disease and warfare,  reduced its Native population to less than half its former size.  Current residents are of mixed Alutiiq ancestry.

Over the decades, Chignik Lagoon became a fishing village and now serves, along with Chignik, as a regional fishing center.  It experiences an influx of fishermen during the summer months, swelling the population by 200.

Lodges, Inn's, B&B and Hotels located in the Native Village of Chignik Lagoon:

Eagle's Roost B&B
Spruce Cove Accomadations (907) 840-2248 (Chignik Lagoon, AK)