City of Chignik Bay

Castle Cape sunset

Castle Cape sunset

City of Chignik Bay

(Population 92)

Pronounced CHIG-nick


The village of Chignik Bay, often referred to as Chignik, is located on Anchorage Bay, adjacent to the Alaska Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge, about 450 miles southwest of Anchorage and 180 miles south of King Salmon.

A village called "Kalwak" was originally located here, but was destroyed during the Russian fur boom in the late 1700s.  Chignik, meaning "big wind" was established in the late 1800's as a fishing village and cannery.  A four-masted sailing ship called the "Star of Alaska" transported workers and supplies between Chignik and San Francisco.  Chinese crews from San Francisco traveled to Chignik in early spring to make tin cans for the cannery.  Japanese workers followed in mid-June to begin processing.  Coal mining occurred in the area from 1899 to 1915.

Today, as is typical of villages in the region, commercial salmon fishing is the mainstay of the economy.  Salmon, herring roe, halibut, cod and crab are processed here.  600 to 800 people come to Chignik to fish or work in the processing plants each summer.

Lodges, Inn's, B&B and Hotels located in the City of Chignik Bay

City of Chignik dba Chignik Biltmore (907) 749-2280 (Chignik, AK)
Chignik Bay Adventures